Monday, February 15, 2010

Senator Scott Brown fire's back at Joe Biden's recent comments "as insulting"






On CBS's “Face the Nation” last weekend, VP Joe Biden shot back that he doesn’t “know whether the new senator from Massachusetts understands: When you get tried in a military tribunal, you get a lawyer, too.”

Via Politico
http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0210/brown_vs_biden_63b114e2-ddd7-4713-8d0f-f9bdf492ab46.html


"It was insulting,” said  Scott Brown who frequently jabbed the administration on their policy of mirandizing terrorists trying them in the Private Legal system and not via Military Tribunals. Brown said he is upset by Biden’s remarks because he’s served in the Massachusetts Army National Guard for 30 years and is currently the Guard's top defense attorney in New England. “I know the military rules and regulations and procedures from A to Z,” Brown said. 


“He’s trying to give me a lesson on military law, and I didn’t think it was appropriate,” Brown told Politico. “And I thought he was off base when it comes to explaining to the American people that somehow I need a lesson on whether people get attorneys — of course they get attorneys. There’s a difference as to what type of attorney they’re going to get and when they’re going to get that attorney, and how are they treated, and what rights do they, in fact, get.” 

“I was actually surprised,” said Brown. When Biden swore him into office they had a nice chat, Brown said, and the vice president told him he could visit the vice presidential residence.

“I would have thought that he would have reached out personally rather than go through the media,” Brown said. “I’m not quite sure what the message to me was, but I felt that it was important enough to respond.”

“I’ve always felt that suspected terrorists should be tried in military tribunals and not civilian court, and as a matter of fact so do the majority of Americans,” Brown said. “The big difference is are we going to pay $1,000 an hour for a private attorney and treat him as a civilian or ordinary criminal in a criminal court, or are we going give him a military attorney who’s going to be paid as a captain, major or lieutenant colonel, and obviously go through the military tribunal process?” 



Ironically Joe Biden has a long history of making outrageous and foot in mouth comments.A great resource of them all is chronicled here. http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/joebiden/a/bidenisms.htm Here are a few highlights:



"You know, I'm embarrassed. Do you know the Web site number? I should have it in front of me and I don't. I'm actually embarrassed." –Joe Biden, speaking to an aide standing out of view during an interview on CBS' "Early Show," in the midst of encouraging viewers to visit a government-run Web site that tracks stimulus spending, Feb. 25, 2009
"If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong." --Joe Biden, speaking to members of the House Democratic caucus who were gathered in Williamsburg, Va., for their annual retreat, Feb. 6, 2009


"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened." –Joe Biden, apparently unaware that FDR wasn't president when the stock market crashed in 1929 and that only experimental TV sets were in use at that time, interview with Katie Couric, Sept. 22, 2008 (Watch video clip
"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking." --Joe Biden, in a private remark to an Indian-American man caught on C-SPAN, June, 2006 (Watch video clip)
"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see ya." –-Joe Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair, Columbia, Missouri, Sept. 12, 2008 (Watch video clip
"I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. … When one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway." --Joe Biden, providing handy tips to protect against the swine flu andfreaking us out, "Today Show" interview, April 30, 2009

My personal favorite was last summer at an AARP meeting.Joe Biden said,  “Well, people when I say that look at me and say, ‘What are you talking about? You’re telling me we have to go spend money to keep from going bankrupt?’” Biden said. “The answer is yes, I’m telling you.”


Having now all the details, Joe Biden acted stupidly calling out Scott Brown on Military Tribunal issues. I mean Brown is only a Sr Legal  30 year Veteran in the Army National Guard. My hat off to Scott Brown for swiftly answering back and setting the record correct. Joe Biden has a long history of making half cocked bizarre statements and he chalks up yet another. 





No comments:

Post a Comment